About the Castle Green
Thank you for your interest in the Historic Castle Green
The Castle Green is a Nationally Registered Historic Monument and Officially Designated Pasadena Treasure. Over 117 years old, built in the Victorian era, now faithfully restored in every detail, including architectural details and colors. It has extensive grounds, including a lily pond and arched walkways and verandas, with magnificent trees and expansive lawns.
The interior spaces, all available to use, are furnished with original Victorian antiques and plush velvet drapes which evoke an earlier time, the Golden Age of America. Frederick Roehrig was the architect for Castle Green. It was the 2nd in 3 buildings built for the wealthy who loved vacationing in sunny California in this one of a kind, lavish 19th century resort. Castle Green was actually known as the “Central Annex”. The building itself combines several architectural elements.
The exterior is in the Mediterranean Revival style while many of its interior rooms are incorporating the Moorish Revival style which has its basis in Islamic architecture developed in North Africa and South-Western Europe. You would need very little (if any) decoration, since the surroundings will immediately convey a sense of luxury and hospitality.
Today, the Castle Green, one of the oldest standing historic landmarks in Los Angeles County, has many of the original features from its construction including the oldest wrought iron 24 hour man-operated elevator on the west coast, gorgeous plaster, moldings, hand carved fireplace mantles, grills and wood moldings, and original lighting.
All this is located in the heart of Old Town Pasadena, moments from the Metro Gold Line, freeway close to all of greater Los Angeles and the Valleys, and is at the same time isolated within its private gated grounds.
Castle Green was turned into Condominiums in later years and is open to the public twice a year, for the annual Holiday Tour in December and the annual Summer Tour. Tour dates and information will be posted for the next tour coming up.
One of Pasadena’s most unique buildings, the Castle Green was built in 1898 as the annex for the famous Hotel Green. The Castle Green is an imposing seven story Moorish Colonial and Spanish style building sitting next to Central Park in Old Pasadena at Raymond and Green Street. The Castle Green was built by Col. George G. Green of the Patent Medicine Business. The Castle Green, opened in 1899 as the second of three buildings in the Hotel Green complex, was a lavish resort for easterners and others escaping winter rigors. Architect Frederick I. Roehrig, for what was later to be called the Central Annex, drew on Moorish, Spanish, Victorian, and other stylistic elements to produce Pasadena’s most stunningly original building. He blended domes, arches, pillars, balconies, and verandahs in a building of structural steel with brick walls and concrete floors, making it Pasadena’s first fireproof building. He tied it to the first part of the hotel complex, built on the east side of the street, by an ornate enclosed bridge crossing Raymond Avenue. When the Annex opened for business, its two cylindrical towers on the south and much of the roof line were illuminated with exterior lights. There was even a penthouse garden with a glass roof. The Hotel Green became the social center of Pasadena, playing host to vacationing tycoons and even presidents. It was also home to both the Tournament of Roses and the Valley Hunt Club. At the end of the resort era, the west annex was purchased by a group of regular hotel guests who wished to continue to come to the Hotel Green. In 1924 the group of investors divided the hotel complex into three parts. The Central Annex was divided into fifty individually owned units and so it remains today, renamed the Castle Green.