The first section was opened to the public on January 1, 1900. Beginning at Dayton Street, just south of the Green Hotel, the cycleway extended one and one quarter miles south to the base of Raymond Hill, near Glenarm Street. It was about 20 feet above an alley that was midway between Fair Oaks and Raymond. For a brief time, that stretch of the cycleway seemed to hold the promise of an exciting hour long ride to Los Angeles, and the possibility of a new era of transportation in Southern California.